Friday, August 14, 2009

Squeaky Fromme is OUT ??

Trying hard to keep this blog a simple one much resembling a journal of sorts, I don't usually touch on the daily events that we hear in the news. Today is different. I was born in 1953 which would have made me 16 years old when the terror of Charles Manson and his "family" were unleashed on Sharon Tate (a popular movie star at that time) and eight others. For those of you not old enough to remember the horrific acts caused by that group of people, it is worth the time and effort to find out. I have thought about those events occasionally ever since then, never quite being able to erase it from my memory.
Perhaps the age I was at that time had some bearing on the impact it made with me, or more realistically, the nature of the acts.
Mr. Manson has been incarcerated ever since, even though I don't recall much about his trial and conviction. I do know that several of his "family" were also convicted.
What I DIDN'T realize was that Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme was neither indicted nor punished in any way for those crimes, even though she was a part of them. UNTIL, that is, in September 1975 when she brandished a loaded handgun at then-President of the United States Gerald Ford in Sacramento, California.
Of course, she was then captured and convicted and sentenced to life in prison. She later escaped from a prison in West Virginia in 1987 and was recaptured with another 15 years tacked on to her life sentence.
This is where I am dumbfounded by our "justice" system. She was PAROLED and is out of prison as of today. Where is she? Who will she try to kill next?

1 comment:

Ginny said...

Thank you for sharing this, Polly. Yes, I remember the horrific murders well. Sometimes our justice system makes no sense at all. This is one of those times.

Peace to you.
Ginny