Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hot Slaw, Cool Ice

Okay, do these things only happen to ME? (And apparently my son-in-law Bruce ?)
Once upon a time when my daughter and her husband were here for a visit, I bought some bar-b-que at a local place with a unique side dish, hot slaw. Not temperature hot, but spicy hot. I personally have never tasted it but it has quite a following as this story bears out. Bruce, the son-in-law (pictured above) LOVED the hot slaw. He loves it so much that he wanted to share this great side dish with his co-workers. Hence, the annual employee picnic seemed the perfect time to do just that. He called me and I hooked him up with the owner of the restaurant and I never heard another word. Until YESTERDAY, that is.
Apparently they had worked it all out, he ordered and paid, they shipped. UPS. In ice. In a CARDBOARD BOX.
Ice melts. Cardboard gets wet. UPS faxed the owner of the restaurant saying the boxes were "damaged" and would be returned ! Who wants rotten hot slaw? (Not me.)
This is the day BEFORE the picnic. Uh-oh.
Sweet mother-in-law that I am, I drive like a maniac to the restaurant and pick up replacement slaw and still get Mother to the Doctor on time. Then take her home and hit the WK Parkway. You see, my son-in-law works 2 1/2 hours away from here. We both drive for an hour or so and meet on the road, do the "quick change" on the side of the road and FINALLY, Bruce's company will get the hot slaw.
The picnic was today. I hope they liked it :)

No comments: