Sunday, September 20, 2009

Working on Sunday

I know it's Sunday, but it's a "work" Sunday and here I am at the funeral home again. This evening we are having a visitation for Art Ward whose funeral will be tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. at our local United Methodist Church. I have known Art's wife Glynn since I moved to Hopkinsville 10 years ago so feel much more of an attachment to this family than to most. There are many unique and interesting facets to each and every service I plan, as well as each and every family we serve. The Ward family is no exception. The most unique aspect (to me) is that inclusion of The Salvation Army and in a very big way.
Evidently Mr. Ward spent his life serving The Army in many capacities and wanted his funeral service to reflect that. In the photo above is Lt. Col. Richard Norris, who is here to speak tomorrow and Major Hilda Howell from Atlanta who serves as somewhat of a facilitator between The Salvation Army and the funeral home. Every contact I have made with them has been most professional and personable, I am happy to say.

On another note, the adorable young girl in the picture above is Carrie, who is visiting with us tonight but making GREAT use of her time and talents. She is making "bracelets" from the various colored rubber bands pictured here and selling them for 25 cents each to raise awareness and funds for orphaned children from Zambia whose parents died due to AIDS.
She's a COOL girl!

Mine are purple and pink and the other is orange and green. I told her she was not charging enough money and so we all overpaid her here, but she's certainly doing something worthwhile with her time and talents. Glad God sent her my way today. It lifts me up to hear a young child talk so adamantly about helping others.
Have a great Sunday night, my blogging friends!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

she's a sweetie.

Lesa said...

What an amazing testimony! She is adorable! It makes you wonder where her life will take her!