Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th Of July at the Beach!

Happy Independence Day to all of us! My day started VERY early with Kristin and I picking Mother up at 6:30 a.m. and heading on down the road......and farther down the road..... and even farther still! I drove until I-65 ended at Mobile and kept on driving due south until I arrived at the little beach house sitting nearly IN the Gulf of Mexico that we will call "home" for the next week.


It was a rather uneventful, even though very long, trip. I forgot my cell phone charger!! (grrr) BUT some friends are coming to join us on Monday for 2 or 3 days so perhaps I can coerce them into bringing me one.
Traffic was very heavy but we saw no accidents. Mother is in the intermediate stage of Alzheimer's Disease and it is moving like a speeding bullet, manifesting itself in various and sundry ugly ways so I worried about how she would fare in a car for 8 or 9 hours. I think she did better than me!
April, Bruce and Tristin were ahead of us the entire way and already had THEIR car unloaded when we got here.
Bruce's birthday is in a couple of weeks and I brought him an early birthday gift, a Cuisinart ice cream maker and he loved it! Of course, I gave it to him NOW so that we could all enjoy ice cream at the beach, lol.
The new berm constructed last year is nothing but a memory now, and that leaves this house sitting almost IN the water. It's a fabulous house.
The kids played in the sand and finally in the water (without their suits on), we had sandwiches and chips for dinner (no cooking on travel day), and watched a fabulous display of fireworks from our deck.
It's been a great day. My family is asleep. All I hear is the sound of the surf beating up against the pilings under the house. I feel the ever so slight movement of the house as the wind blows outside our door. I love this place so much, this Dauphin Island, Alabama.











1 comment:

Marie Reed said...

Did I tell you that I was born in Mobile, AL? My parents divorced when I was little so I went to school in CA but I visited my Daddy-o every summer! Dauphin Island is such a HUGE part of my childhood! Soooo many memories are flooding back! I'm so glad that your Mother did wonderfully in the car! That kind of distance would have driven me batty too!