Saturday, January 10, 2009

Watch Out! There's A Deer In The Headlights!

Awaking to a steady rain and a gloomy day, I delayed getting ready for work as long as I dared. Of course, I anticipated being 15 minutes late, as usual. (I think that comes with position and seniority, but I could be wrong and just am setting a bad example for junior employees. Hmm, I will think on that some.)





As I stood in my dressing area deciding what to wear, Frank called to say HE was going to be late as he had hit a deer with his truck. He was uninjured, thankfully. We discussed what his next moves would be and he wasn't even sure at that point if the animal was dead. How dreadful to think he might have had to go back home to retrieve a gun, come back and shoot it to relieve its' misery.





Turns out the deer is indeed dead and Frank continues on to work. During that time I am frantically (now) racing around the house trying to get ready as fast as possible and we get here almost simultaneously. I only beat him by 3 or 4 minutes. Well, I tried.





Back on to the subject of the deer. I live in Kentucky and although I live in the town proper, this is a rural community in the western part of the state. There must be some serious breeding of deer going on because by far, they cause more accidents here than speeding, drunken driving, talking on cell phones, sleepiness or any other thing I can think of.





The weirdest thing about this is that the driver really never "hits a deer". The deer always run INTO the vehicle. And more often than not, they travel in herds. When you see one, more usually follow.





A few years ago, I was driving to Nashville to catch a plane for Key West and was travelling on the by-pass around Hopkinsville when a deer ran right into the drivers side door. Of course I stopped immediately and saw 4 or 5 more crossing there. I wasn't sure if it was still alive and was too afraid to open the door at 3 a.m. to find out.





Too make a long story short, my insurance agent said GO, I caught my flight on time and the insurance company covered the entire incident and did not penalize me in any way. State Farm is my company, by the way.





I don't know what can and/or should be done to control the number of deer on Kentucky highways, but I know it is time to do SOMETHING. I am surprised the insurance companies have not already instigated some sort of action plan. Hmm.....









For today's P365/10 I have posted a picture of Jackie! Jackie takes care of all of us here at the funeral home. She cleans non-stop, always has a smile for everyone and is the absolute kindest person I have ever met. We always joke around here and say you can make any employee here mad if you want, but NOT Jackie. She could NEVER be replaced and when I grow up, I want to be just like her.

1 comment:

Geri said...

Too bad about the deer. My brother-in-law also hit a deer and killed it, and my mom killed a cow once. Sounds like the vehicle always wins.